A Taste of Delhi


{Creamy Afghani Chicken at Location #2}

So I'm back in 'saadi dilli' (my Delhi) for a bit and while I wait around before I graduate in June I'm hitting the town for some good food, wine and lots of catching up. 

First on my list was a popular Food Tour on Trip Advisor, the Delhi Food Tours. It's run by a lovely couple Prashant and Ayesha, who personally conduct the tour and explain everything you need to know about different types of Indian cuisine concentrated in this amazing little melting pot of a city. 

The tour usually lasts about two hours and they personally take you to different joints and present to you the best they have to offer. With Indian food being so extensive and all that variety, it's important to let someone guide you to what you should really try and what you should give a miss. 

Wait a minute. Trust someone else's taste? No way! Well then, tell 'em what you'd like and they'll try to give you the best version of it, or at least the most authentic version of it.

Although I grew up in Delhi and as a rite of passage, visited all the places they took us to, we tried things I never would have ordered myself. I'd like to think I'm adventurous. Well, slightly. But when we go out, I tend to order my regular adventure. So it was good, going to the same haunts but trying something completely different. And loving it. 

I'd love to tell you where we ate, but that's the USP of DFT. Mystery. For us dilli-waalahs, it was a surprise at every step. For me, it was tasting new memories in the same old spots that already hold so many amazing childhood memories. 

I can tell you this though, we started off in South India with a nice vegetarian pre-set meal supplemented with chicken curry and a well-charred mutton fry. We then moved up slightly North/Northwest for Afghani-style creamy tandoori chicken, biryani, sheermaal (sweet milk bread with holes in it) and melt-in-your-mouth mutton kakori kababs. Though I frequent Location #2 a lot, I have to say that my favorite when it comes to Kakori's is the newly christened Sab Ki Khatir. However, the Afghani chicken at Location #2 was Ah-may-zing. *Drool*

We moved slightly further north for butter chicken (or chicken tikka masala to the rest of the world. Short rant - its not an English delicacy and it was in fact invented in India. Harumph). Finally, we proceeded all over India for dessert. I'm really sorry but Location #4 is not pictured in this post. Why, you ask. I was so full my brain stopped working. Literally. Give the over-stuffed lady a break, will ya?

All in all, a fun night with great company and ree-uh-ly good food. If you'd like to go on a Delhi Food Tour then please, by all means, contact Prashant or Ayesha here.

On a side note, you're probably shuddering in your chair right now thinking about the Delhi Belly. For those of you not in the know, it's the terminology applied to traveller's diarrhea contracted in India especially by tourists. If that's you, DFT has something special for you too. 


{South Indian Thali at Location #1}

{Punjabi Butter Chicken at Location #3}

{Punjabi 'Dal Makhani', ie, Rich Black Gram or Lentil Curry at Location #3}

...

Photo Credits and Copyright: All photos have been taken by Gayatri Kumar and belong to Look who's Wearing (LwW)

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful evening! I can still taste the kakori's :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really wonderful! Thanks for the great company Sonam! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I look forward to it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Real Time Web Analytics